Friday, January 27, 2012

Power in the Spoken Word… How Much is Really There?

It is often said (really harped on lots and lots and lots) that there is power in the spoken word. Regardless of how true people believe this statement to be, or not, how much power can there really be in words if/when the speaker does not mean them or believe in them? A lot of people are insistent that it’s the words themselves that hold the power, but I have a little trouble buying into that one.

People constantly toss words out all the time, or say things in a joking manner. I mean when the intent doesn’t match the words then those particular words lack power, or the power that people usually associate with those words diminishes or changes. Example, a person that knows me well may do something I hate and me being the sarcastic person I love to be could say something like, “I so love when you do that.” But, does that really mean that I love when they do that, or does my intent lean toward something else? Or what if I say, “I can’t stand you,” in a joking manner with a smile and laugh, but we both know I love you, what happens to the meaning of those words then? In my opinion and experience, the energy is no longer the usual energy that is associated with those words, which leads me to believe that it’s the intent and not so much the words themselves that hold the power.

Lastly, when words are spoken between two or more individuals, it’s the way in which the receiver of the words interprets them that will determine the effect of the words for them. If I express a thought to three different people, there is the possibility that all three people could interpret my words in three different ways, thus the words would have a different affect for each. Is their reaction a response to my words, OR a response to their interpretation of my words and perceived intent. Aaaaaaaah. Lots to think about.

My intent here is not to insist that words don’t have any affect at all. It’s just that at times; I notice a lot of people putting more emphasis on the details of the words being shared in a conversation, instead of focusing on what the other person actually means. Often getting caught up in the specifics of the actual words that are being said, leads to communication gaps, especially if we don’t share the same definitions for the same words. But if I pay close attention to the context the word is being used in, the body language and facial expression of the speaker I can better interpret/understand the meaning of their communication. I don’t think we should just ignore words all together, but pay more intention to the intent of our own words and the intent of others, as that is where the seat of power really lies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment