Friday, May 25, 2012

Singing to Myself


Have you ever sung a love song to yourself? I’m sure this question may sound too ridiculous to even consider, but the question is valid I assure you.

I love listening to music while I’m in the car regardless of who’s driving. My favorites are instrumentals or songs that I already enjoy singing along too (sorry if you happen to be in the car with me you will probably get an earful). Anyway, the other day on the way to work, a song by Jennifer Hudson came on. A song that I absolutely love called “You Pulled MeThrough.” Listening to the song, most would probably assume this is a love song to for a significant other about how someone’s love has saved them.

But, as I sat there paying closer attention to the lyrics I stopped to ponder. We are often looking for others to help repair what we feel someone else has “broken” within us. And when we somehow manage to heal from whatever pain we’ve emerged from, we can be quick to give credit to others for our emotional successes or breakthroughs. I’m not necessarily saying that anything is wrong with this. I wonder though, how often do we give ourselves credit? Even with guidance from other sources (whoever/whatever those sources may be) WE are the ones that do the work. WE are the ones that have to make the conscious choices and efforts to make whatever changes we want in our lives. WE are the ones who have to learn to accept the experiences we’ve encountered throughout life and choose how we will allow them to affect outcomes in the future. Though we may receive help from others, WE are the ones that truly make the decision to pull ourselves through any and all obstacles we may be facing, specifically regarding matters of the heart.

Though I think it’s wonderful to show appreciation to others for the assistance they have provided us on our journeys, let’s not forget to show appreciation for ourselves. Let’s try a little harder to remember to be thankful and loving toward ourselves, inwardly and outwardly, because it is through our own efforts that we truly make a difference. We deserve just as much credit for our healed wounds as those who have helped us along the way. Next time you hear a love song imagine you are singing it to yourself. It may seem silly, but you deserve your own appreciation just as much as anyone else. 


Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment