Sunday, March 20, 2011

Quote of the Week

"All of man’s problems stem from his inability to sit quietly with himself."  Pascal

I found this quote to be most interesting considering I have the hardest time keeping my mind quiet. My mind always seems to be constantly going (well… it is) and when I was younger, it used to be busy enough to give me headaches. A busy mind means busy thoughts. Busy thoughts can often mean clutter and/or confusion. We have so many thoughts going through our minds at any given time it can be dizzying. I think part of it comes from our busy (boy I’ve been using the word busy a lot in this post) lifestyles, which seem to only be getting busier and busier.  Instead of focusing on ways to calm things down, we try to figure out ways to cope with our overbearing lifestyles then spend time complaining about how busy we are. After all, there never seem to be enough hours in the day.

But, I have noticed that when I find a quiet space of time, where I’m not in the midst of some activity, I tend to feel “bored” and go looking for something to fill my time… but wait, hadn’t I just been begging for some peace and relaxation? Through my reading, I’ve come to realize that, at times, I have been unappreciative. The universe would provide what I’d been asking for, only for me to find away to ruin it (I’m sure no one’s ever done that before *wink*). As I moved further in my studies, I also realized that I didn’t spend enough time listening to the wisdom of my inner self.

Shortly after I had these realizations, I remembered that I already had the key to obtain what I’d been wanting. There is a very prominent meditation, practiced widely through many groups, that helps to clear the clutter so we can really listen to the voice within. I can’t say if it has a specific name, but the purpose of the meditation is to clear the mind of all wandering thoughts, constantly clogging our thought process so that we can learn to just be in the moment… in a sense.

Here’s how it’s done. Find a comfortable chair or resting position where your back and spine are straight for comfort. Then gently close your eyes and breathe deeply in and out through your nose. Your breaths will begin to slow and your body will relax. At this point lots of thoughts may still be coming in and out of your mind. As a side note, we often follow our thoughts and they build and build until we’ve daydreamed an entire scenario based on these thoughts. The idea here is to not allow your mind to focus on any one thought long enough to allow it to grow and get bigger. Just let the thoughts flow in and then out never giving any one thought your specific attention. There is no specific time length for this exercise. I just do it until I feel a tangible sense of relief.

This meditation is by far the hardest meditation I’ve ever tried, however it has always helped to provide the most clarity. When your mind isn’t cluttered with a bunch of random or unhealthy thoughts, the true guidance from within can be heard with much better clarity. When we follow the voice of our true selves only good can come to us and we are able to focus much easier on that which we truly desire instead of that which we are currently living.

No comments:

Post a Comment