Sunday, March 6, 2011

Minding My Own Business

You already want to hurt me, I can tell, but hear me out. In our everyday lives, we spend a lot of time with other people, family, colleagues, friends, associates, etc… But at times I feel we become too immersed in the lives, problems, drama, issues of others. It’s natural to care about others (well I think it is) and it’s natural to care about what happens to them, but when the events of their lives begin to have long term effects on our lives in a negative way, things need to be reevaluated

So often, we become so engrossed in what someone else is doing, we start to have intense emotional reactions. This is a flashing red light, a big fat warning, an indicator that we have started the process of attracting something to us we may not want. At this point, we should be stopping and taking a deep breath to analyze whether we are bringing something we want or something we don’t want. This is not to say, we can’t empathize with people we care about, (or people we don’t even know) but when we begin to allow their experiences to effect our points of attraction, we need to take notice and possibly action to insure, that while we are working to uplift someone else, we are not dragging ourselves down in the process.

Then there is the situation where we are “against” what someone else is doing. We take a stand, get all up in arms, feel the need to vent our anger toward that which we are against. Yet again, we must take a step back and remember that our thoughts (and only our thoughts) create our reality. So, in giving our focus to those things we don’t want, we are actually activating a thought pattern about it in our own experience and beginning the process of drawing these unwanted things toward us. Have you ever noticed how fighting against something you don’t like makes you feel bad? Sure, when we’re in the midst our self-righteous fight mode, going against this bad thing we don’t like, we think we are doing the right thing, but usually the whole ordeal contains a negative underlying tone, meaning I am immersed in something I really don’t like. Even if you are fighting against it, you are still giving your attention to it and filling your head with thoughts about it.

So instead of fighting against what we don’t want, I propose being for something we really do want. Do you sense a feeling of a relief as soon as you think that thought? I am going to direct my thoughts and energy towards something I do want. I am going to immerse myself in something I do want. I am going to encourage actions, thoughts, activities and events that are for what I do want. Instead of being against hunger, I am going to work to help people get the nourishment they need. Instead of fighting against disease, I will focus on wellness and perfect health. Instead of fighting against war, I will focus on peace. If focusing on what you don’t want only brings more of it, then why focus on it all? Instead, just place your thoughts in places and toward things that make you feel good and you will be surprised at the new ways the light is shinning upon your life. It’s been working for me so far. Just a thought. 

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment