Sunday, July 3, 2011

Quote of the Week

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”
George Bernard Shaw

Holy cow! I’ve never viewed communication from this perspective before, but as soon as I read it, it resonated with me. How many times have any of us had a conversation or correspondence with someone, only to feel you’ve left off where you began, run in circles, made no progress, you get me right? How many times have any of us had a heated “discussion” about our personal views with someone who had opposing views? During these times, do you think we spend more time trying to find something of value to take away from the experience or trying to “convert” someone to our beliefs? I mean so many of us believe our beliefs are “right.” Come on, admit it, I know we’ve all been there a time or two and it sucks each and every time.

Well anyway, now I prefer to think that communication should be a dialogue between two or more people, where everyone is trying to find some common ground, actually hear what the other parties are saying and understand them. Even still, if you can’t agree completely, at least try to broaden your horizons, before condemning something you may not have known about or tried. So many want just their voice to be heard. So many just want to be RIGHT, when really, is that what’s most important?

If we take a chance on someone else’s point of view what exactly do we have to lose? What does it hurt to hear out someone else’s thoughts and opinions? Then have a healthy dialogue or even debate as long as you are actually listening to the other person, instead of only focusing on preparing your next argument, because there is no way their opinions could be valid for you? I think I’ll take heed to this quote the next time I’m in a discussion with someone of an opposite view point. It would be fabulous if I take away something of value from every interaction instead of just plane ole’ frustration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment