Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quote of the Week

“A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” Ayn Rand

I think this quote is made of awesome fabulousness. I saw it posted a while ago and thought I’d steal it. I’m starting to believe that some of our competitive natures are actually hindering our ability to achieve and/or manifest our desires. I believe it’s one thing to participate in healthy competition when in contest or playing a game, but when everything in life starts to become about beating someone else or being better than someone else, I think we are playing a dangerous game.

The way I see it, competition is (for the most part) about comparing yourself to someone else. What do I have to do to get ahead of, beat or be better than this person?  When your whole life becomes about comparing your accomplishments to someone else’s I believe that is setting yourself up for failure. Someone else may do something differently or faster but that doesn’t mean they do it better and vice versa.

Wouldn’t it be better if instead of looking at someone else’s life for guidance we looked to our own true inner selves instead? What if we decided to look into our own hearts, acknowledge the things that truly make us happy and strive to create those things in the best manner for our own wellbeing and desires? Perhaps if we used our own lives, experiences, progresses and feelings as a gauge for how we’re doing instead of someone else’s we might actually appreciate the strides we’ve made toward our goals. Instead of caring more about comparing our journey to someone else’s, I believe it would be much more beneficial to just enjoy the one we are on and appreciate our own precious achievements. Self-love, come on let’s get with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment